Captain Save em' or just a good Brotha'?


By Gary J. Lewis

Why are so many men in their feelings about Russell Wison and Ciara's relationship?

LOL, this kinda' made me laugh. This is actually a good question . . . Why do we care? I don't think brothas' actually care, but I do think we recognize certain dynamics in this relationship that are offensive to our sensibilities as so-called "real men". It's the "Bootleg Cinderella" story that we see in this relationship. Cinderella, as played by Ciara, is out here getting it in with all kinds of rapper dudes and getting tossed up left and right. She seems to be that "type" who goes for the "bad boys" until she gets too old and used up, then she finds religion and shuts it down for the next fool. Then Prince Charming aka Captain Save-a-Ho, as played by Russell Wilson, comes in and saves her from a life of "Thotism".
 Ostensibly, he's the perfect guy. he's intelligent, professional well spoken, kind and considerate. A far departure from what she has seemingly invested her time into based on her past relationships. He is willing to overlook her past, rumors, photos, videos, and even children from a father that he knows will be an issue. It offends some of our male sensibilities and "player instincts". Some men see Russell as a sucker who fell for the banana in the tailpipe. 
But I will say this . . . If they are happy I am ecstatic and if they are good I am great. They seem to have found a groove and rhythm that works for them and I personally like Russell Wilson. I don't think he's as square as some think. I think he just found a woman that fits and the rest doesn't matter. isn't that what we all are or were looking for? It's their life so let them live it! It reminds me of the lyrics from an old Bill Withers song . . .

Use Me
Bill Withers

My friends feel it's their appointed duty
They keep trying to tell me all you want to do is use me
But my answer yeah to all that use me stuff
Is I want to spread the news that if it feels this good getting used
Oh you just keep on using me until you use me up
Until you use me up

My brother sit me right down and he talked to me
He told me that I ought not to let you just walk on me
And I'm sure he meant well yeah but when our talk was through
I said brother if you only knew you'd wish that you were in my shoes
You just keep on using me until you use me up
Until you use me up

Oh sometimes yeah it's true you really do abuse me
You get in a crowd of high-class people and then you act real rude to me
But oh baby baby baby baby when you love me I can't get enough
I and I want to spread the news that if it feels this good getting used
Oh you just keep on using me until you use me up
Until you use me up

Talking about you using me but it all depends on what you do
It ain't too bad the way you're using me
'Cause I sure am using you to do the things you do
Ah ha to do the things you do

Comments

Popular Posts